Saturday, October 30, 2010

Life Before My GF (Garmin Forerunner)

These past few runs I was thinking about my life before GF (Garmin Forerunner) came into my life. It came so unexpectedly, like it was destiny. I was so excited I check to look at the watch almost every stride I made. "Ooops, I think Im going too fast, I think Im gonna check THE WATCH!" or "I wonder how My heart Rate is doing, Im a check THE WATCH!" and I do this over and over again. I would finish the run thinking about my time or my distance or my heart rate.

Now I would lie if I say that GF has not helped me in my running, It has and it still does, but what it also did was to make me forget. I would end runs thinking "Why am I running?" and the answer would be "to beat that little black guy in your watch" which I so conveniently name ABEBE GEBRESELASSI. (it didnt help that I gave him a Kenyan name)
Thats Him right there on the top


I found out the problem isn't that I love this watch too much, Its that I love it more than running.  I shrugged and continued my routine get up wear the watch and run, "My old passion for the run would turn up sooner or later" I thought. but it did not.

Pre-Race
Until something Unusual happened. I was warming up getting ready for the Adobo run yesterday when, I looked at my watch and was dumbstruck, there was only a piece of flesh there which apparently was my wrist. Im going to run without my watch?! What if I go out too fast? What if this, What if that.

when I arrived at the start I was already a bit late so I just ran regardless of what may happen.

Race
I was racing from the back of the pack, air rushing across my face, damn I was feeling it! Overtaking here, Over taking there. Sadly This is no fairy tale that ends with "I race and broke my PR" in fact barely 2k have passed I realized, I was going too fast.

I got burned out and did the rest of the race at an easy pace. Big Thank to my fellow six:30 RFM whose Cheers and Encouragement help me finish the race. (sayang lang bro we didnt get our loot bags!)

Post-Race 

 No PR for me this time. But I finished knowing that I didnt Run trying to beat that litte man in my watch. I enjoyed it, I loved it and with my friends around me at that night, It gave me a picture again of why I'm running , glad I ran without my GF (no double meaning intended haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment